Aug 13, 2013

MMM: Prints VS Digital Files....And Why They Both Matter


This is a rather long post, but I assure you it will be worth your while if you are seeking to understand why photographers offer what they do, and whether you should go with digital files, prints, or both. Throughout I also loosely explain my reasoning behind what I offer.


Why this now?

The wedding/portrait photography industry has recently been "at war" over the ideal business model. Traditionalists selling quality prints (and depending on them for profit and to keep their businesses running) VS "shoot and share" photographers who sell their digital files and share them online. As somebody who takes her work seriously and prizes her clients' needs, I decided to reevaluate myself and my industry's direction, and explain to brides and clients the value of what they can get.


The Value of Prints (and Why I Wish I Had Paid for Them As a Bride)

As once a bride (and therefore client), when searching for the photographer with the best fit, I chose a collection that only included the digital files. At the time, I cared about sharing them online and choosing a couple to print from Costco (I knew I could make a professional album later as a photographer). Knowing better now, I wonder if I should have chosen a collection with prints included. The Costco print I have on my wall was made in a hurry. No personable service, no careful optimization of colors. Because I signed a contract, I respected my photographer's right to edit her images. That's her job and her work, not mine. I have yet to order a professional print for my wall to substitute the crappy, funky-color version I have. I love my wedding photos but I would love them more if I had gotten professional prints as well.

As little as a year after my wedding, as an apprentice of my craft at university, I have learned the importance, cost, and value of quality, archival prints. Countless where the hours (and money) I have spent in print labs carefully choosing the right paper, printer and re-editing my images to make sure the colors, tonal range, and size were just right. The day I personally produced my printed portfolio and held those images in my hands marked the completion of the longest stride I've made towards becoming the photographer I want to be.

Why I didn't choose a collection that included prints? Because at the time I thought I could do it cheaper and in my own time. Also, I knew I had the tools to making my own professional-made, quality album. Well, I still haven't made my album, and still have to print my images, when I could have paid for timely quality prints and products and enjoyed my wedding photos at a more personal level in the privacy of the walls in my home.


This is a video I encountered with recently at Musea. It's good stuff and in a simple and honest way emphasizes my point.


"Prints Matter" by Musea from MUSEA on Vimeo.

This is the reason traditional photographers STILL offer prints and products: because it offers a more complete, personable experience to their clients. Prints matter. However more and more clients nowadays are only looking for digital files for myriads of reasons. That's okay.

If my clients decide to print at Costco, I'm okay with that. But I always make sure to tell them that whenever they decide which one to print to let me know so that I can optimize it to the print size they want (sharpen, fine tune and convert it appropriately). Moreover, if they want professional prints made, they can order so directly from their online galleries. At my present situation (as a student, wife, mother, and business owner), this is how I am capable of providing quality products to my clients who want it. Whatever the format, prints and albums are the optimal way of enjoying photographs. These are valuable keepsakes and so worth it! 

Prints still matter. Albums still matter. Digital files also matter.



The Value of Digital Files

Practical brides today share their wedding photos via social media. Guests tag each other and everyone talks about the photos. Who doesn't love this kind of popularity? This is the fast and easiest way to share this moment with everyone.  Digital files make it easier for brides to share them and consequently spread the word about our work. Plus, in one click my clients can safely download all of their images onto their hardware of choice, without waiting for a disc in the mail. Win! Win! 




Change Happens


Change happens in every industry, and with mine is no different. Change is good, as long as it adds value to our craft and services. I will always make sure my business model fits my personality and my clients' needs as well. As long as my photographer peers do the same and take pride in quality images, then the competition is healthy and only forces us to better ourselves, while satisfying our clients.



My Advice

If I could give a word of advice to brides, as once-a-bride and a photographer: invest in prints! At least in one for the wall and an album so it becomes your keepsake and everybody's favorite on the coffee table. You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Star stickers to you! Thank you for your comment!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger